The Portland Cement Association (PCA) announced the winners of its 2023 Safety Innovation and Chairman’s Safety Performance award programs.
The Safety Innovation Awards are given to those companies who have developed innovative practices, projects and programs that improve safety at cement plants in the United States. Broadly, the award program communicates these exceptional ideas to all manufacturers and highlights the importance of safety programs both inside and outside the industry.
Entries are judged in five areas: innovation, ease of use, ease of construction, effectiveness, and risk prevention. Winners were chosen by PCA’s Occupational Health and Safety Committee and other independent cement industry experts.
The 2023 PCA Safety Innovation Award recipients are:
- Distribution: Continental Cement, Continental Port Allen Terminal, Chesterfield, Mo.
- Quarry: CalPortland, CalPortland Oro Grande Plant, Oro Grande, Calif.
- Pyroprocessing: GCC of America, GCC Tijeras Plant, Tijeras, N.M.
- General Facility: Mitsubishi Cement, Mitsubishi Cushenbury Plant, Lucerne Valley, Calif.
The Chairman’s Safety Performance Awards are given to member cement plants that do not have a reportable injury or illness during the year. Fifteen plants achieved this in 2023, which represents more than 10% of all active cement facilities in the U.S. and its territories.
The PCA 2023 Chairman’s Safety Performance Award recipients are:
- Argos USA, Atlanta, Ga.
- Argos USA, Newberry, Fla.
- Argos Puerto Rico, Dorado, PR.
- Ash Grove Cement, a CRH Company, Durkee, Ore.
- Ash Grove Cement, a CRH Company, Midlothian, Texas.
- Buzzi Unicem USA, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Buzzi Unicem USA, Maryneal, Texas.
- CalPortland Company, Rillito, Ariz.
- GCC of America, Odessa, Texas.
- Heidelberg Materials, Bellingham, Wash.
- Martin Marietta Materials, New Braunfels, Texas.
- Martin Marietta Materials, Midlothian, Texas.
- Martin Marietta Materials, Tehachapi, Calif.
- National Cement Company of California, Kern, Calif.
- St. Marys Cement, a Votorantim Cimentos Company, Detroit, Mich.